I really need to work on honing my writing skills. They are seriously lacking lately. I feel like I've been stuck in a rut since I started editing for the paper. I keep my sentences short to the point where long ones actually confuse and annoy me. This could also be a result of improper comma placement. I need to brush up on my elements of style. And my vocabulary.
But anyway, sometimes I think it's difficult to face reality. I still haven't looked at the grade on my research paper for Shakespeare. I looked at the final grade for the class, mind you, but for some reason I can't bring myself to take a look. It obviously can't be terrible since I did well in the class, but still - I won't look until it becomes essential. This is probably one of my major weaknesses. Accepting criticism. I think I need someone to deliver it to me straight up - or else I won't see it. Of course it hurts. I can't stand imperfection. Maybe I just need to discipline myself to learn to accept and grow.
Another thing I have lost is the ability to BS. It used to be so easy to spew any crap I could. Now I can no longer do it, and it's directly reflected in my ability to speak. I can only speak about topics about which I am extremely well-versed. So my goal now is to become well-versed in just about everything. Or maybe it just means that I am a writer and not an orator.
Perhaps I have nothing to say at all. And yet, it seems I have volumes to write.
No comments:
Post a Comment